U.S. Massacre of ϟϟ-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 38

Waffen-SS Prisoner of War
U.S. Massacre of 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen POWs: According to author and Professor Antonio J. Munoz, about two hundred Waffen-SS Grenadiers including SS-Obersturmbannführer Vinzenz Kaiser and his adjutant SS-Hauptsturmführer Franz Kukula, belonging to the I.Battalion/SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 38, were captured near Nürnberg by men of U.S. 42nd Infantry Division (Rainbow) and subsequently massacred on April 19 – 20 1945. The fate of these men had been shrouded in mystery for many years. Eyewitnesses to what happened to these men were not forthcoming. Shortly after the war, some citizens of Nürnberg directed Red Cross officials to what turned out to be a mass grave which yielded two hundred bodies, all in Waffen-SS uniforms. Nothing was done to identify these men or how they came to be there until 1976, when the remains of one of the corpses was positively identified as that of SS-Hauptsturmführer Franz Kukula, the commander of 1.Battalion (38.SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment). Further autopsies on the other bodies soon followed, showing that many of the men in that grave had been beaten to death with blunt instruments (possibly rifle butts). Most had been shot at very close range, suggesting that a massacre had taken place. Reference: Iron Fist: A combat history of the 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen. The above image by Robert Capa has nothing to do with the article. Public domain.

1 comment:

  1. Former enlisted veteran6/3/12

    It is a fact, that GI's from the 222.Infantrie-Regiment draw a long blood trace from Heilbronn over Orlach, Jungholzhausen,Webling, Dachau, Haar, Oberpframmern and Utting for example. I don't have to tell you about the so called "Webling Incident", where 47 members of the Waffen-SS were murdered after they had surrendered. The same happened before and after Webling, a lot of unknown young Waffen-SS Soldiers got murdered after they had surrendered on the way of this so called Rainbow-Division on their way through South-Germany.